The Happel Crew

The Happel Crew
July 2012: Front row Carter and Cade. Middle row Addy and Reegan. Back row Me, Kyler, Quincy, Cael, Jaycie, Dean and Mackenzie

Psalm 127:3-5

Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate.

Psalm 127:3-5
Dean and Dawn proud parents of these blessings:

Mackenzie Jo 19, Carter Dean 15, Reegan Marie 12, Cael Charles 11, Quincy Everett 9, Addelynn Ruth 7, Cade Joseph 5, Kyler Erwin 4, and Jaycie LeeAnn 2

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

More State Titles

Well we brought home another state title last weekend, and surprisingly this won was brought home by Cael!! What a stud muffin. He had 4 matches, each match is 3 minutes long, and he actually wrestled for 4 minutes only. He is the new Bantam 45 USA State Champion. This boy got himself ready to wrestle each match. He was sprinting, doing push-ups, sit-ups, leg lifts, sit outs, you name it - he is 7! He did a better job then most older kids in getting his body ready to go.

Carter was denied his 13th state title, getting beat in the 2nd round. He has not been beat in over 2 years in this state, so this was a tough one. I will not be an excuse maker but I will say he was not feeling well, and we made him go out there anyway. He will be better off because of it. He did storm his was through the backside and get 3rd. I was impressed.

A few things that really stood out to me that day. I was able to show Carter how we rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep - I saw Carter right by Cael's mat to give him congrats after he won. I saw a friend of Carter's not leave his side in one of the hardest times of his young life. I say anyone can stand by you when you are winning, but it takes a true friend to stand by you in your toughest time. I saw another friend talk with Carter in the stands and ask a real question "I just want to know why you did not wrestle". It was good to see him face this and come out fighting. I saw Cael overcome his nerves, and make a decision to just do it. I got to sit through the realm of emotions. I knew this would one day happen, that in a matter of hours, I would feel the ache for one and the joy for the other. I am so thankful to have this. It is hard no doubt, but I am learning so much. Thanks be to God for the blessings.

A few more gross things stood out to me. The opponent who beat us, his mom was taping Carter's first match - that surprised me, I have not taped opponents matches to try and find some secret code for beating them. We just work hard. I also was talking to a friend last night who told me they have been approached by this same family for tape of Carter as Carter has wrestled their son a lot. WHAT? SERIOUSLY? This is youth wrestling. WOW. I am having a hard time biting my tongue over this. Dean keeps reminding me to take the high road, he says we always have. I struggle taking the high road when my hubby or children are involved. Can you say mother bear? I keep thinking of this Toby Mac lyric "I don't want to gain the whole world and lose my soul" I guess if these are the tactics they need in order to beat us then so be it, I don't want to win like that. There is a potential rematch on Saturday, pray my tongue is in control.

I have been a bit lazy in posting, and I really love to blog, I find it a way to relax and I have always wanted to write a book, so maybe this is my practice. I had a new friend tell me she had missed reading this, which made me feel really good, so I will try and be more consistent.

I have been busy decluttering still and giving things away. I think the Amish simple life is so cool. Not much to take care of, so time for other things. I am working my way towards having much less to take care of - again no decluttering of my children, they bring me way too much joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment